On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:58:42 -0400, John P. Baker
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The FBA command set originally contained support for Reserve/Release.
>
>The IBM 4331 and 4361 processors (direct attach), as well as the 3880-4
>controller provided the following related channel commands:
>
>       X'14'           Unconditional Reserve
>       X'94'           Device Release
>       X'B4'           Device Reserve
>
>Each of these commands returned 24 bytes of sense data.

I researched further and found that the 9332/9335/9336 (the FBA disks on the
ES/9221) all had those CCWs, too, architected or not.  (The I/O architects tell
me "not".  They have some 'splainin'  to do.... )

>If IBM's simulation of FBA on SCSI lacks Reserve/Release functionality, then
>that indicates that the simulation of FBA is not fully implemented.  It does
>not indicate a lack of functionality in the FBA command set.

The simulation team tells me, for example, that the reservation functions in
the SCSI command set are not sophisticated enough to enforce what we think
of as Reserve/Release.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM