No, actually I'm looking to move one 3390-3 to one 3390-9.  These
particular volumes are pretty much full and it's starting to cause us
application problems.  The application in question has its own means of
parceling out which data sets go where.  I would much prefer to move
these things a volume at a time rather than a file at a time.

Changing all the volumes to be SMS-managed and putting them in pools
would be the best solution, but there are a couple of minor reasons I
don't want to put any effort into that if I can simply move some of them
to mod 9s and be done with it for a while.

SMS management of these volumes will come, though.  Oh yes, it will
come.

Jon

<snip>
Moving the DSNs with DSS/FDR should be easy enough. You shouldn't need
SMS, but hard to image that kind of volume and not SMS. You can tell DSS

to move to a pool of DASD, you specify the VOLSERs and the amount of
space
to use. But your scenario seem more like a logical move, and recatalog,
of
2-3 Mod3 to 1 Mod9 but you could move numerous MOD3 to several MOD9. If
DSN is allocated, it won't move. So a repetitive process should get them

all moved.
</snip>