2008/7/23 Mark Waterbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Does anyone recall how to determine the one byte value that results from a
> column on an 80-byte card that was "overpunched" with the 0-8-2 holes punched
> out?  Please tell me, in hex, e.g. X'82' (for example only).  Thanks.

Do you mean an algorithm? Or just the value for 0-8-2 specifically
(which is X'E0', from the green or yellow card)? I'm not sure there is
an overall algorithm, though obviously there are certain patterns to
be seen. But 80-column cards long precede EBCDIC, and indeed 8-bit
codes in general, so the mapping between the 12-bit card code and
8-bit EBCDIC is largely arbitrary, outside the basic printable
characters.

Tony H.