that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Harminc) writes:
> The 2540 was quite happy to read so-called column binary cards, that
> is cards with any 12-bit combination of holes punched. (Well, happy
> may be the wrong word, but the problems were mechanical rather than
> logical, and it was mostly the punching rather than the reading that
> gave trouble.) Later readers also had an optional column binary
> feature, and the mark sense and later OMR features used the same
> scheme. The S/360 interface (implemented in the 2821 control unit
> rather than the reader itself) could deliver the 2x6 bits embedded in
> two 8-bit bytes. I imagine a 2540 connected to a pre S/360 machine,
> would deliver 6-bit characters across the interface.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#42 IBM 029 keypunch -- 0-8-2 overpunch
-- what hex code results?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#43 IBM 029 keypunch -- 0-8-2 overpunch
-- what hex code results?

on 360 reading column binary, read 80 columns into 160 bytes
(i.e. column with effectively 12bits mapped into two 8bit bytes).
pre-360 used BCD that mapped a single column into single 6bit value
(EBCDIC subset). This was different from "binary" which mapped a column
into two 6bit values.

from gcard.html ... /3525 card-reader/punch CCW
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/gcard.html#23

read, feed, select stacker CCW:
     SSD0 F010

3525 just shows "SS" as stacker 1 or 2; a real 2540 ... had 5 pockets,
two that were punch only, two that were reader only ... and a middle
pocket that could intermixed cards read & cards punched ... so "SS"
could be stacker 1, 2, or 3.

"D" is either EBCDIC or "card image" (aka column binary ... two bytes
per column).

My first student programming job was porting 1401 "MPIO" program to
360/30. MPIO was card-to-tape & tape-to-printer/punch utility where the
university used 1401 as unit-record front-end to 709 (physically moving
tapes back & forth between 1401 and 709). 360/30 was brought in as part
of migration that eventually replaced 709 with 360/67. The 360/30 could
operate in 1401 hardware emulation mode ... and run the 1401 "MPIO"
directly. However, I guess as part of migration to 360 ... I got the
task of reimplementing MPIO utility in 360 assembler. I got to invent my
own interrupt handlers, storage manager, task manager, device drivers,
error recovery, etc. Part of the implementation was differentiating
between BCD and binary cards on reading from 2540 ... and also
differentiating between BCD and binary from tape ... for punching (punch
80 bytes as BCD or 160 bytes as binary).

I also did a program for student registration that used the middle
pocket. Normal student registration was sense marked cards on solid
manilla colored cards. These were read one at a time from 2540 with
stacker (middle) three selected. There was some amount of validating
checking done ... and if there was some sort of error ... a blank card
would be punched into the middle pocket (behind the registration card in
error). The 2540 punch was loaded with cards that had colored stripe on
the top edge. When all the cards were pulled from the middle stacker and
placed in card tray ... all the registration cards in error were easily
identified by an immediately following card with top colored stripe