--------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------
MIPS topic again:
One of our customer has reported that our (long runing) server application is using 500 MIPS /day.How to understand this, and is there any standard tool to generate a report like this(i.e how many MIPS has used )
Your customer doesn't know s**t from shoe polish. MIPS (Misleading Indicators of Performance Specifications) is a RATE measurement, NOT a total usage value. His concern should be focused on one far more important issue: "Are my business needs being satisfied?". If so, then be quiet; if not, then it's time to address application performance issues, or perhaps overall system performance issues.

Rather than concentrating on the "Airline Magazine" garbage, a better question would be "How many service units per day am I expending in this application?" Or "How is my application performing during peak usage periods?" Unfortunately, far too many managers concentrate on issues that they're not qualified to address.

Thank you, Gartner Group, for making managers think they know it all, when they really know nothing!