From: Rick Fochtman [mailto:snip]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:25 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: MIPS /day

--------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------
MIPS topic again:
One of our customer has reported  that our (long runing) server
application is using 500 MIPS /day.How to understand this, and is there
any standard tool to generate a report like this(i.e how many MIPS has
used )
Your customer doesn't know s**t from shoe polish. MIPS (Misleading
Indicators of Performance Specifications) is a RATE measurement, NOT a
total usage value. His concern should be focused on one far more
important issue: "Are my business needs being satisfied?". If so, then
be quiet; if not, then it's time to address application performance
issues, or perhaps overall system performance issues.