Kenneth

Perhaps you should do what I did and read through the posts carefully.

The samples you quoted of mine are from presentation material - as I well
explained - written well over ten years ago. I would have been amazingly
prescient to have anticipated Eileen's particular requirements in this material.

I had hoped it would have been quite obvious that I took the trouble to edit
this material so that I could add it to my post since it included my thoughts on

1. Using common as opposed to task global variables

2. Any use of the DEFC (and DEFT) option

in addition to the general description of global variables from which you
quoted.

I had also hoped that it was abundantly clear that I considered John Giltner's
contribution definitive in terms of addressing Eileen's particular requirements
and I am at a loss to understand how you can quote me saying just that
without seeming to have understood it!

Or maybe I have just totally misunderstood why you selected what you did
from my post.

As for your logic, you are quite correct. If perhaps you are not very familiar
with NetView global variables, you should read carefully the text I added to
the post to Eileen. Then you should read through all the posts in this thread
and see that the way Eileen was trying to use them is answered fully by John
Giltner - or maybe I have still totally misunderstood what Eileen is trying to
do!

Chris Mason

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:02:37 -0500, Kenneth E Tomiak
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So in your sample, the variable CHECKING contains the value of the actual
>variable name? That is what I understand Eileen is trying to do.
>
>Fred = "Some value"
>CHECKING = "Fred"
>'GLOBALV PUTT CHECKING'
>Fred = "another value
>'GLOBALV GETT CHECKING'
>Say Fred
>
>Should show "Some value" not "another value".
>

>On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 10:37:28 -0500, Chris Mason
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Eileen
>>
>>John Giltner's sample Clist shows exactly how what you want can be done.
Is