We also have SUN/STK tape drives and have lot of swaps. Half of them don't
succeed and are incomplete and end with an LMU error. JES3 gets puzzled by
that and the only way to get out of this situation is to vary force offline the
source and target unit of the swap.
So varying on/off the drives is not normal business, it's just in case of
failure.

Werner Kuehnel