From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Martin Kline
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:24 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: VTAM question: Where does TGN=21 come from?

I've been all over the manuals, and I don't find this anywhere. It
appears that
certain VTAM links, CTCs and others, between LPARs within and without of

the same sysplex, get assigned a default TGN of 21. Why? Shouldn't this
be
documented? More importantly, how does this affect PATH definitions,
which
contain VRs, and ER/TGN combinations, plus the COS tables that point to
VRs,
and the logmodes that point to COS tables?

Please excuse my ignorance on this. I haven't dealt with VTAM for over
20
years. Now, I've specified all the (apparently) valid TGNs we had
defined (not
including TGN 21), and I find some logmodes that can no longer be used
between networks, while other logmodes still work. The logmodes are
available
on all systems, but it appears that there are no routes available for
the
logmode-selected COS entries.

Maybe I'm making this more difficult than necessary. The logmode entries

worked previously, and TGN 21 was never included in the path
definitions. Is
there some default that allows any and all TGNs to be used by a given
COS?