Martin

If you have XCFINIT=DEFINE, how do you have VTAM XCF links? Although you
specify XCFINIT as a VTAM start option, this is purely in order to set up the
possibility to have XCF links. The links can be used by either or both of the
components of Communications Server (CS), IP (originally TCP/IP for MVS) and
SNA (VTAM). If you have XCFINIT=DEFINE and NODETYPE=NN or EN, you are
obliged to enter a VARY ACT command for the VTAM invented major node
ISTLSXCF in order to convert, as it were, XCFINIT=DEFINE to XCFINIT=YES.

Is it perhaps that your XCF links are only those set up for CS IP?

This throws some doubt on whether your other links are SNA rather than IP
before we even get to whether or not they are used with subarea SNA or
APPN SNA.

You should use the D NET,STATIONS command in each of your VTAMs in order
to be sure which of your links are subarea links. This command will show the
names of PU statements - which are in reality adjacent link stations to
adjacent subarea nodes. Where the adjacent link station is ACTIV that will
indicate you have a working subarea link.

You seem to know about PATH statements, ERs, VRs, subarea COS and mode
names so, limiting the links you consider just to those identified as "active"
with the D NET,STATIONS command, you should be able to work out what
connectivity for sessions you have which relies purely on the subarea part of
the network.

Now you should use the D NET,CLSTRS command in each of your VTAMs in
order to be sure which of your links are APPN links. Again this command will
show the names of PU statements - which, in this case, may double as real
SNA PU entities but which are always also adjacent link stations to adjacent
nodes, either type 2.1 nodes (we will assume always APPN for the moment) or
type 2.0 nodes (subarea SNA peripheral nodes). (The type 2.1 nodes can
incorporate the functions of a type 2.0 node.) Where the adjacent link station
is ACTIV that will indicate you may have an APPN link. From what you know of
your configuration you should be able to work out whether the adjacent node
is a type 2.0 node or a type 2.1 node. If the adjacent node is a type 2.1
node, the link will be an APPN link. (I am assuming your predecessor has not
left you any LEN links.) If the adjacent node is VTAM it will always be an APPN
link.

An important point of clarity from the last paragraph is that you should be
clear - no help from IBM documentation and messages - over what "2", "2.1"
and "2.0" mean when talking "SNA". Only an SNA node entity can be "2.1" in
spite of IBM stupidity in messages and documentation pretending it applies to
the SNA PU entity. At least that stupidity can be ignored since "2.1" must
mean node. Only an SNA node entity can be "2.0" in spite of similar IBM
stupidity but now it cannot be ignored because, by "2.0", a node entity or a
PU entity might be meant in spite of the fact that there is no point in
qualifying "2" in reference to a PU entity.

I am assuming that, from the names found in the D NET,STATIONS and D
NET,CLSTRS commands, you will be able to find out more about the resources
defined in the corresponding VTAMLST members.

You should now be able to construct a diagram of the nodes which make up
the subarea part of the network and a separate diagram for the APPN part of
the network.

You can verify that the subarea network definitions are working by using the D
NET,CDRMS command in each of your VTAMs in order to see whether you
have full mesh CDRM connectivity or whether part of the mesh is missing. In
each case you will always see the "home" CDRM as ACTIV but you may not
see each "away" CDRM as ACTIV. I'm sure you remember all this "stuff".

I expect that the VTAM in the new LPAR is the one which will be missing since
I guess you have not gone to the extensive trouble of redesigning your PATH
statements everywhere.

It may be that other VTAMs in recently added LPARs are also missing since
your predecessor has relied on APPN to achieve connectivity, possibly relying
on the concatenation of a subarea route to an APPN route. He may have got
away with this "on a wing and a prayer" in that all the sessions which were
expected to be available happened to work.

That's probably enough for now. Let me know how you get on with these
tasks.

Once we have a clear picture of where the subarea routes are and where the
APPN routes are, we can try to analyse why you are having session setup
failures.

When tracking session setup problems you need to check what each VTAM
visited by the session setup attempt says. This is done most crudely by
setting all start options containing "SIRFMSG" to ALLSSCP (or ALLNNS for
LSIRFMSG). These are ASIRFMSG, DSIRFMSG, ESIRFMSG, LSIRFMSG,
RSIRFMSG and SIRFMSG itself. You can set these all using MODIFY VTAMOPTS
or restart VTAM with the values specified.

Your problem is not to do with TGNs because it is almost certainly one of
these problems that wouldn't happen if what we used to call the "Jim Fletcher
law" was observed. It is very likely to do with giving VTAM a confusing choice
for session setup within the various VTAM nodes involved. I can't be sure until
the network diagrams are clear. APPN TGs are selected in a manner quite
different from subarea TGs and - I think - you have been assuming that the
problem relates to subarea PATHs.

You will also have to be clear in your own mind what constitutes an SNA
network. If you have the same value for the NETID start option in all your
VTAMs - and I very much expect you do - you have only one network.
Perhaps you really mean sysplex when you say "network" - or this is all rather
more complicated than I have been assuming hitherto!

Since you are having this experience of differences with different mode
names - aka logmodes, also mode table entry names - it may be useful to
know whether you use only the mode table entry names which appear in
ISTINCLM or you have your own mode table - I suspect the latter. If this is
so, do you have multiple mode tables? Do you perhaps see a difference when
you use one of the ISTINCLM mode names rather than one of your own mode
names?

But you mention that the COS specified in your mode table entries is what can
distinguish working mode names from those which do not work. However you
don't say whether this is subarea COS or APPN COS. I assumed it could not be
APPN COS because I have to assume you don't know a lot about APPN - or
you'd know where TG number 21 came from! But subarea COS names are not
present in ISTINCLM - for the very good reason that there is no standard
subarea COS table from which to select names. This indicates you have your
own mode tables and your own subarea COS table from which the names are
selected.

COS selects TG numbers only indirectly.

In subarea, the named COS corresponds to a list of VRs (and transmission
priorities). If the VR has been activated, the session setup can proceed. If
the
VR has not yet been activated, the node where the primary LU resides checks
that there VR maps to an ER which is active and activates the VR. Then the
session setup can proceed. If there is no active ER, the next entry in the list
with a different VR number is tried until the list is exhausted.

In APPN, the named COS specifies ordered acceptable ranges of
characteristics, each with an ascending weight value, for transmission groups
and nodes. In the network node responsible for the primary LU, route
information for each potential route from the source node to the destination
node is gathered. For each potential route, the characteristics of each of the
transmission groups and nodes are compared to the acceptable ranges for the
specified COS. If none are acceptable, the session setup fails. Where one or
more are acceptable, that one or the one where the sum of the weights is
lowest is selected and the session setup proceeds.

Which type of COS are you talking about?

Regarding which nodes are searched:

In subarea, you need those CDRM-CDRM sessions I mentioned above. That is
what determines which nodes are searched.

In APPN, all nodes which are connected together, and where there is a
concatenation of CP-CP sessions between them, are searched.
The "concatenation" point is important but you can usually just assume it
when you simply have the connections since, in your configuration by default,
APPN mechanisms will ensure the necessary CP-CP sessions are established.

However, this does prompt me to ask what your design for the assignment of
network nodes and end nodes is. This is going to depend on your network
configuration and you should note down for each VTAM whether it is an end
node (NODETYPE=EN) or a network node (NODETYPE=NN). This may matter
when checking for problems setting up sessions.

You should also note that specification your predecessor decided on for the
SORDER start option in each VTAM and the SSEARCH start option in each
network node VTAM. These start options affect how a search switches
between subarea mechanisms and APPN mechanisms.

It occurs to me that those OSA features might include SNA links to non-VTAM
APPN nodes. Do they, and, if so, do we need to take this wider part of the
SNA network into account when sorting out the session setup problems?

Also if the CIP links are relevant, you'd better explain where they fit in.

That probably really is enough for now. I await the next instalment.

Incidentally, if you want to persuade your management concerning SNA
education, you can simply point out that, without it, they can add as many
LPARs as they like to the configuration as long as they don't expect to run
any SNA applications there which work with the rest of the SNA network. It
would be possible to run TSO, a probably rather important "for example", as
long as the adjacent CS IP is fitted with a TN3270 server but no more. If they
can live with that there's no need to pay for SNA education. I guess you could
always pay for a consultant from IBM whenever you needed SNA-related
projects run but I'm not sure your management would like to pay out the "big
green" for "Big Blue".

Chris Mason