On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:27:40 -0500, Chris Mason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think this thread should probably be under a new subject unless
ir somehow relates back to the TGN=21 issue (whch we have been
told to forget :-) ).  But in case it DOES relate to TGN=21 I haven't
changed it.

>If I ignore everything you've already said, I would say that 087D0001
happens
>for the reasons given in the IP and SNA Codes manual under SNA
sense code
>087D with sense-code-specific information 0001, specifically
under "VTAM
>hints".

I tried looking at the various 087D000n sense codes NOT received
as a way of guessing the config, but that was too tedious.  More
info would help.

I'd flesh out John's "which logmode?" with a "What APPNCOS is
specified in the logmode entry?".  And what APPN COSTAB are you
using?

>you are using SNI or APPN Border Node (BN) support. ...

I'm assuming this, too, and am further assuming it is APPN rather
than SNI.   And I would tend to blame network-qualified names (or
lack thereof) except that I don't see how this would change based
on logmode name.

>It would be useful to know whether or not there were xSIRFMSG
>messages - assuming "ALLSSCP" is set - shown in any intermediate
>VTAMs as well as the source VTAM.

I'll go a step farther than Chris.  Set the following VTAMOPTs on all
VTAMs that might be in the search path.
   ASIRFMSG=ALLSSCP
   ESIRFMSG=ALLSSCP
   LSIRFMSG=OLUNNS
   FSIRFMSG=OLUSSCP
   SIRFMSG=ALLSSCP
After the failure, set them back to their original value (probably
NONE) or you're likely to be flooded with messages.

>... The point about this sort of example is that you
>wouldn't need to appeal to the list denizens to know what the
>problem was.

I think I'll show a little more mercy than Chris.  :-)   Searching,
particularly searching in a mixed Subarea and APPN network is not
exactly straightforward.   (You probably will see worse errors than
this 087D0001 problem.  This one will probably not be too hard to
track down.)

You would be wise to try to locate proceeding from some of
Johnathan Harter's SHARE presentations such as "Searching  in
Mixed APPN/Subarea Networks" and "APPN LOGMODEs and Class of
Service".  He's beein giving these (and other APPN-related sessions)
for years.  Pick the most recent ones for the most up to date info,
but look at the older onse, too.  He's had to eliminate some things
to make room for new info.  (Johnathan can fit twice as much in an
hour than mere mortals can, but even he has limits.)

And I think it is helpful to keep in mind a statement made by Jerzy
Buczak (a cohort of both Johnathan and Chris) in a Share session
"APPN/HPR Problem Determination" after describing a peculiar
session setup failure.  "Now you go and listen to Mr Harter's
presentation for the 6th time to work out why this route was
taken."  In other words, this is not necessarily trivial.

Pat O'Keefe