We use an IBM VTS and also use OpenTech's Tapecopy/VDR.   I direct all our
ML2 tapes to a special vault code - DRH2.  Our other virtual DR tapes get
sent to other DR* vault codes.  TapeCopy/VDR is set up to sweep up all the
DR vault codes and then stacks like vault codes together on our 3592
container tapes.  At DR, we generally recover the most current 7-10 days
worth of stacked virtual tapes back into the DR VTS  before applications
starts their DR processing and then do individual tape recoveries as
people request tapes or datasets outside that window.

I can't think of anyway to directly accomplish what you've asked for -   I
suppose you could set up a separate LPAR/HSM to manage/migrate just those
specific storage groups....  and I'll bet there will be some people on
this list that will be glad to tell you how silly that would be!
dd keller

"Staller, Allan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
09/11/2008 11:01 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DFSMShsm question - seg ML2 data by STORCLAS?

<snip>
This just came up. I've taken a fast look in the manual, but haven't
seen
anything. Is there a way in DFSMShsm on z/OS 1.8 to segragate the
migrated
datasets onto separate tape volumes, based upon the STORCLAS or STORGRP
assigned to the migrated dataset? What we want to do is to have a
separate
set of tapes so that when we duplex them for D.R., we can reload the
production ML2 tapes.

Hum, perhaps I should mention that our ML2 tapes are kept in our VTS. We

"duplex" them to physical tapes using a product from OpenTech called
VDR.
So, we want to segregate the data on the virtual ML2 tapes, then use VDR

to make copies to different sets of physical tapes so that at D.R. we
can
first reload the virtual ML2 tapes to the D.R. VTS which contain the
production data.
</snip>

I can't think of any easy way to do this. DFHSM has some exits, but I do
not know if they can do anything beside say yea or nay to the migration
actions that are passed to them.

If you are talking about segregating the ML2 virtual volumes on backend
carts from the "other" virtual volumes on backend carts, this is a VTS
function, not a DFHSM function. This is fairly straightforward using an
STK VTS (see MVCPOOL and MGMTCLAS). Once the backend tapes are
segregated, the physical DR copies will automatically be segregated as
well.

I cannot speak to the IBM ATL/VTS solution since I don't have the IBM
equipment or DFSMSrmm.

HTH,

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the
addressee(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying,
forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof.

Thank you.