On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:25:45 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Arthur Gutowski wrote:
>Arthur Gutowski wrote:
>> I vaguely remember when IEBCOPY was comprised of more than
>>one load module, and compressing the live LINKLIB was not a
>>good thing... somehow,
>> this smells hauntingly familiar...
>
>... I think you meant to say that
>IEBCOPY comprised more than one load module, which is wrong,
>unless you count the appendage.
>
>The problem you remember was due to a number of utilities
>shipped to execute in a small (64K or so) region (MVT) or
>partition (MFT), using overlay. ...

I'm missing the distinction you are trying to oint out, but I sure
remember the problem, and it existed in either VS1 or MVS into
the mid '80s.  We had a "helpfull" operator that decided to compress
SYS1.LINKLIB.  The compress worked fine until it got to one of the
IEBCOPY overlay modules (I assume).   IEBCOPY crashed.  We
probably had a hard wait at that point, but I don't remember for
sure.   I'm pretty sure the SYS1.LINKLIB directory was clobbered.

Pat O'Keefe
we had an unusable SYS1.LINKLIB at that point.