From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Walter Marguccio
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 5:48 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: z890 model upgrade

Hello list,

as we heard that upgrading from a 2086-230 to a 2086-270 would cost us
350.000 Euro,
we abandoned our consolidating project on the mainframe. The price is,
at least for a small company like us, too high,
and doesn't take into account the higher sw licence costs which would
come along due to more MSUs.

Are there guidelines, tools, books, etc. which would help us to estimate
whether 3 or 4 CPs (i.e. 2086-350 or 2086-440)
less fast would still improve our performance compared with 2 fast CPs
like in the 2086-270 ?

In other words: better more (slower) CPs of fewer (faster) ones ? What
does it depend on ?

We are still at z/OS 1.7, Com-plete and ADABAS 7.4.4., online and batch
being our main workloads.

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer
BELENUS LOB Informatic GmbH