On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:02:55 -0400, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Delvol Markfull will only mark the tape full so that HSM stops appending to
>it.
(I know this has already been answered. I include only for completeness.)

>Now to the rest of your problem - Are your tapes duplexed? If yes, you issue
a Taperepl command against the missing tape. Now all pointers the the missing
tape will be directed to the duplexed tape and you may resume recalling data
as necessary.

>If the tape is not duplexed, you need to do the following (unless you're sure
you will never need this data)

>List the contents of the tape using the following:
>HSEND LIST DSN MCDS SELECT(VOLUME(nnnnnn)) ODS('tsouid.nnnnnn')
>
>Edit the ODS Hdelete all data sets on the tape and execute
>Then edit the ODS again to Hrecover all of the datasets and execute.
>Then either edit the ODS again to Migrate what was just recovered or let
nature take its course.

The datasets on this tape are just TMM point-in-time backups so we don't
back them up or duplex them since they are really "expendable".  I don't
believe HSM was trying to recall any dataset but simply appending to the tape
which is why I wanted to mark it full to avoid any more problems trying to
locate it.
I appreciate the thoroughness of your answer though.

Gil.