Marc Van Hoof wrote:
The 16K blocksize is an HSM limitation on writing data to a tapedrive.
We do have drives (STK 9840C) that can transfer 30 (uncompressed) to 70 Mb/s (compressed).
In practice we see HSM putting  500 I/0’s sec / 7,8MB/sec on a drive.
Remote over an distance of 40 Km over DWDM it is less 360 I/O’s sec / 5,6MB/sec.

16k is *not* a limitation in HSM. HSM uses DSS under the cover, which uses blocksize up to 64kB. From the other hand maximum transfer depends on compression ratio. However in real life you cannot choose it.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.