Herman,

If the source code is lost, did the application promotion process
(development ==> QA ==> Production) by any chance save the compiler
listings?  Source is *much* more easily recovered from a listing than
from a load module.  Recovery from a listing could be handled with some
Rexx code (or your text-scripting language of choice).

Maybe it's my ISV background, but for most of my professional
programming career I have believed that saving *all* of the outputs of a
compile was *essential* to be able to provide production problem
resolution, whether it's an abend or even just incorrect output.

And I can well believe that the application programmers were not happy
with disassembler output.  I was involved a few years ago with a source
recovery process for a couple of assembler modules, and even being an
assembler whiz did not make the disassembler output very decipherable.
Much work and many disassembly passes went into figuring out which
was/were the base register(s) at different places in the code, which
were the data register(s), for what data areas, etc.  Just decoding the
"standard" IBM macro output from object code can be difficult if you no
longer have the version of the macros with which the original was
compiled.  BTDTGTTS.

Decoding disassembler output to deduce COBOL source code is a job for
serious code generation/optimization experts, not ordinary programmers
(or even systems programmers).

If the source code and listings are both truly lost, I do agree with
other responses you have gotten that it's definitely a job for an expert
third-party provider.

HTH

Peter

We
> want to reverse the modules to be able to go to LE and maybe even make
> changes.
>
> Does any one know of any vendors and/or products on the market that
can be
> used to reverse engineer these modules - in COBOL.
>
> I have suggested the disassembler but the development people were not
> happy with the output, Cobol people do not like assembler, go
figure:-)
> they are not assembler programmers and the disassembled code was
> unreadable to them.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Herman Stocker
and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.