>We plan to implement the DASD mirroring features of our EMC. Any tips or
>gotchas we have to pay attention with. I knew it will definitely increase
>the DASD disconnection time when we implement this. Anyway, I also
wanted to
>know what files you have decided not to be included with the DASD mirroring
>that you knew will affect the batch performance?  Temporary files? What
>else?  TIA.

1. In a later e-mail you said it will be about 70km and you will be doing
SRDF/S. When we looked at it for a site at 48km we asked EMC for any sites
in the US (2005) doing around this or greater; none could be supplied. I
strongly suggest you ask for reference sites to explore the consequences of
running Synchronus at that distance. Oh yes, all the sites they gave us were
well under 30km.

2. In a later e-mail you mention this is a cold-site used as backup. Since
terminology is critical, hopefully you meant Disaster Recovery and not for
backup purposes. Keep in mind if a file is mistakenly deleted "here", it is
deleted "there"; thus no backup. Bottom line is our remote DR site is not a
substitute for doing local backups although with enough bandwidth and
equipment, doing the actual backups in the remote cold site is an interesting
thought.

3. I would also recommend you consider SRDF/A although that is dependence
on you toleration for data loss. If a matter of seconds is acceptable, then it
is
a lot less costly solution.

I am not going to ask the obvious question of why remote DASD is sitting in
a "Cold Site"; which means no computer is there. Although I was involved in a
plan to have a separate DASD box located in a cave as a 3rd copy of
the "stuff", so just in case the main site goes BOOM, DR site goes BOOM, and
the plan was to rent a truck or maybe a SYSPROG's pickup truck, load up the
DMX800 and drive it out west to recover the systems at a commercial DR site.
Never got that far in the implementation.

jim

jim