> But, it can/does cause some problems with things like young children going to
> (or coming from) school in the dark.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes.

The thing that saves the children from going to school in the dark is
*standard time*, not DST.  So, if we stayed on standard time all year,
the kids would be alright.  It's DST that screws everything up!

What DST does is get us out of bed an hour earlier in the spring and
summer months.  That's the daylight saved -- the hour that we
would otherwise spend lying in bed sleeping (or whatever).  So DST
shifts an hour of daylight from the early morning to the afternoon/evening.

Standard time gives the kids their best chance of going to school and
coming home in daylight during the months when daylight is at its shortest.