COBOL?

> Peter Farley writes:
> >...recently it has become more prudent to consider the maintenance
> >costs and available knowledge down the road after our generation
> >retires. Using documented, "standard" LE functions may not be as
> >efficient as the assembler solution, but won't require an assembler
> >programmer to maintain it 10 years hence.
>
> That makes a lot of sense to me. "Avoid needless coding."
>
> At least as something to think about, could you turn these date
conversion
> functions into "enterprise services," so that they're available
> universally to anyone in your organization in their applications,
> regardless of language or environment?
>
> If you do not want to reinvent a common function, chances are
excellent
> others have the same issue.

Well, probably not *entirely* regardless of environment.  A common GMT
conversion subroutine that used the LE functions to accomplish its task
would certainly be possible and probably desireable.  An "enterprise
service" in the sense of SOA and/or CICS and/or Websphere would be
overkill at this point.  One client's input format for one batch process
does not (yet) require an enterprise-wide solution.

Now if *two* clients need it, then you begin to consider wider-area
"services".

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.