Gabe, all

I look forward to the article, and hope you make lots of money with it!  Alas I
was born in 1945 instead of 1946 so you will have to take my input with a
grain of salt.  I planned to be a power plant engineer and did my master's
theses on power plant steam cycle process control optimization using a
FORTRAN model on an IBM 1410 in 1969 at USF.  When I got my first FORTRAN
class program listing in about 1966 including the linkage editor map from the
overnight batch runs for the class, I knew right then I had to learn what all
that "stuff" was, and I've ended up following a career in computer science
ever since.

I spent 2 years with ECI (later E-Systems and later Rayethon) working on
AWACS with secret clearance.  Then I spent 25 years with Florida Power and
managed their computer department for over 15.  During the FPC years, I
moved through the system programming career path, and made a number of
contributions to the SHARE SPLA library including a structured FORTRAN
translator and strucutred programming macros.  I also develped PC/370 and
released it as shareware in 1985 all done as a hobby while teaching evening
classes in computer science at USF.  I left FPC in 1995 after helping to
implementing CSS by far my most exciting and challenging project up to that
point in my career:

http://don-higgins.net/css.htm

I worked for Micro Focus for 9 years telecommuting from home and developed
HLASM compatible assembler written entirely in COBOL which is part of Micro
Focus Mainframe Express for Windows.  I left in 2004 and started my own
consulting company Automated Software Tools Corporation and have been
doing some consulting and really having a lot of fun developing open source
Java bases z390 protable mainframe assembler and emulator www.z390.org.

Right now I consider myself a baby boomer who is simi-retired as I collect a
pension and I don't have to work when I don't feel like it or when I have an
opportunity to visit with the grandchildren or go touring.

But, I still love system software development!  It is what gets me up at 4 or 5
am 7 days a week to work on z390 related projects.  I do it because it's fun
and very self satisfying to me, and I hope to still be doing it on a laptop (or
mainframe class cell phone) from my room in an assisted living facility when
I'm
90 if I make it until then.  My mother is 91 now in assisted living, but she
doesn't want to have anything to do with computers.  We play scrable or
crokinole twice a week when I visit her.

In the last 4 years since leaving full time employment in the mainframe
industry, I've been busy learning Java, Linux, Perle, Eclipse, and more.  There
is always a new tool and a new language waiting to be put to good use.  At
the Orlando SHARE in February, I got a request from Michael Stack and John
Erhman to add the ASSIST extended instructions for use by students at NIU. I
don't see any end in sight for new opportunities.  Come to the March 2009
SHARE z390 session in Austin to hear about a new tool under development.

Don Higgins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]