Hi everyone,

I found it, thanks to an off-line note that at least pointed me in the right
direction.

I'm replying to the first note that mentioned the root cause, but all of
your notes were helpful, including the off-line ones.

I had done a lot of things already, such as comparing RACF profiles, procs,
checking for weird substitutions, checking the default allocation CLIST that
comes with the ADCD...but eventually that led me to the ISPF profile.  And
that's where the problem lay.

Somehow the block size for these newer users with the problem was bad - not
a multiple of 80.  Of course, that led to either an OPEN or an I/O error,
which eventually got masked by the U0999 abend.  We have a CLIST that sets
up new users, and somehow there was a block size specified that got changed.
I've made some changes since then, so I'm not sure if I accidentally screwed
it up in other changes, or if someone else mucked it up, but anyway that
block size has been removed (yay SDB!), and so far a couple of users have
been able to get on.

I do appreciate everyone's help, and hopefully I can get back to
lurking/reading IBM-MAIN.

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds. ---ilvi
French is essentially German with messed-up pronunciation and spelling.
--Robert B Wilson
English is essentially French converted to 7-bit ASCII.  ---Christophe
Pierret [for Alain LaBonté]