Argh, I forgot to describe something else I tried that did not work:

In the proc:
//SYSLIB    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=APPL.PROD.COPYLIB
//         DD  DDNAME=COPYLIB2
//         DD  DDNAME=COPYLIB3

In the JCL

//STEP01    EXEC IGYWG ...
//COBOL.COPYLIB2  DD  DSN=FJS.PDSE.COBOL,DISP=SHR

This works if I always include a COPYLIB2 and COPYLIB3 DD override in the
JCL, but if I don't I get
IEF450I COBOBJ COB STEP01 - ABEND=S013 U0000 REASON=00000064  292

IEC141I 013-64,IFG0194A,COMPILE,COBOL,SYSLIB-0003,047E,PRD001,NULLFILE
IEA995I SYMPTOM DUMP OUTPUT
SYSTEM COMPLETION CODE=013  REASON CODE=00000064
 TIME=16.26.37  SEQ=00316  CPU=0000  ASID=002C

The reason code of 64 means:
An OPEN macro instruction was issued for a dummy data set using an access
method other than QSAM or BSAM. Correct the DD statement to specify a real
data set, or access the data set using BSAM or QSAM.

It seems to not like a NULLFILE for a PDS.

Looking at it again I'm not sure if this, even if it worked, but be all that
much
better.  You still have to know what the maximum number of concatenations
will be.  It does seem a bit cleaner, IMO, but...

Frank