On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:34:52 -0800, Jack wrote:

>If I create a PDF file with SAS and don't specify attributes, it assigns
>
>Organization  . . . : PS
>Record format . . . : VB
>Record length . . . : 259
>Block size  . . . . : 27998
>
>I have also used LRECL=8096,BLKSIZE=0.

I suppose it depends largely on how you intend to process it.  If
you intend to transfer it to or from an existing data set using
FTP, IEBGENER, or whatever, you must be respectful of the attributes
of that other data set.

I'd avoid RECFM=F[B] because of possible slack bytes on the last
record.

RECFM=U or RECFM=VBS depend on the application's and access method's
savvy handling those formats.

Have you considered a z/OS Unix file.  That's what most resembles the
stream that's natural to a PDF or other BLOB.  Or is DB2 hostile to
z/OS Unix?

-- gil