That scheme also consumes resources (notably CPU) non-productively,
though probably significantly less than the spin loop.  Our unstated
objective is to minimize non-productive resource consumption, and
waiting for a timer to pop seems most efficient for that.

> If your "key" is formatted (i.e. mmddyyyyhhmmss) and not just a stck
> value then just convert it to STCK format before the add (in this case
> you have to add a second, or you'll end up with the same key) then
back
> to mmddyy... after... probably still way more efficient than a STIMER.

I suggested almost exactly that, about a decade ago: change the key
field from "human-readable" YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS to "raw" STCKE.  "Too
much work" and similar "reasons" expressed eloquently by John McKown.

    -jc-