On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:50:51 +0100, R.S. wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote:
>[...]
>> I see that z/VM was licensed to run on an IFL only to run Linux and now it
>> is licensed to run on an IFL with OpenSolaris guests as well.
>Not exactly. You can run VM under VM on IFL.
>In simple words you can run under VM anything you can run without VM.
>VM is transparent for licenses and "technical blockades".
>Note that (latest VM) can emulate zIIP/zAAP for z/OS guest, but the
>emulation is done on CP.

>From the announcement:

"Prior to this announcement, z/VM was authorized to run on IFL processors
only if, on the IFL processors, z/VM was being used exclusively to run Linux
workloads and, if required, z/VM applications in support of those Linux
workloads. As of November 18, 2008, end users are now also authorized to run
z/VM on IFL processors if z/VM is used to run OpenSolaris workloads and, if
required, z/VM applications in support of those OpenSolaris workloads."

I know that there are restrictions to prevent IBM operating systems from
running on an IFL.  I'm still looking for documentation making any other
restrictions on what can be run on an IFL.

--
Tom Marchant