2008/11/19 Tom Marchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> From the announcement:
>
> "Prior to this announcement, z/VM was authorized to run on IFL processors
> only if, on the IFL processors, z/VM was being used exclusively to run Linux
> workloads and, if required, z/VM applications in support of those Linux
> workloads. As of November 18, 2008, end users are now also authorized to run
> z/VM on IFL processors if z/VM is used to run OpenSolaris workloads and, if
> required, z/VM applications in support of those OpenSolaris workloads."
>
> I know that there are restrictions to prevent IBM operating systems from
> running on an IFL.  I'm still looking for documentation making any other
> restrictions on what can be run on an IFL.

The way I read this recent announcement is that it is merely a change
to the licence conditions for z/VM.  I am not aware of any conditions
attached to the IFL that restrict what you can run on it; rather,
there may be conditions on licensed software such as z/VM and z/OS
that restrict what hardware they may run on. In the case of z/OS,
there is also a runtime test for the "wrong" kind of engine, but it's
the licence that counts.

In the case of z/VM products such as RSCS, IBM has said repeatedly
that they are happy to talk about licensing terms for running on IFLs.

Tony H.