That's what I have known but I have been wondering what Roger Miller (an
IBMer from Silicon Valley Lab, San Jose) meant when he wrote the following :

 "The LSQA below the line storage was solved quite a while ago, although
there are still parameters in z/OS, as some software could not tolerate the
move for a very long time.  That memory is above the line, below the bar.
Today we run most large production situations with 300 to 500 threads and
some transaction situations can use more than 1000 threads (plus a few
hundred system threads)."

And the answer was in response to this query:
 "A thread is basically a TCB, so as such, it used to require 1.3-1.5K of
LSQA. ... <snip> ... So, the question is, does a thread still consume that
amount of LSQA (below the 16M line)?".

Unfortunately he didn't reply to the request for further elucidiation.
Oh well ...
Mohammad