-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:50 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Has the TCB been moved above the line?

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:36:31 -0600, Mohammad Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>That's what I have known but I have been wondering what Roger Miller
(an
>IBMer from Silicon Valley Lab, San Jose) meant when he wrote the
following :

> "The LSQA below the line storage was solved quite a while ago,
although
>there are still parameters in z/OS, as some software could not tolerate
the
>move for a very long time.  That memory is above the line, below the
bar.
>Today we run most large production situations with 300 to 500 threads
and
>some transaction situations can use more than 1000 threads (plus a few
>hundred system threads)."
>
>And the answer was in response to this query:
> "A thread is basically a TCB, so as such, it used to require 1.3-1.5K
of
>LSQA. ... <snip> ... So, the question is, does a thread still consume
that
>amount of LSQA (below the 16M line)?".
>
>Unfortunately he didn't reply to the request for further elucidiation.
>Oh well ...
>Mohammad

I do not speak with authority, but I vaguely remember somebody saying
that
many DB2 functions (threads?) now run under SRBs instead of TCBs. I
don't
know if an SRB is allocated above the line or not.

--
John

The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review,
distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this
information is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the
sender and delete or destroy this message and any copies.