>> >If one installs z/VM solely for use as a Linux hypervisor, would
>there
>> >be a "need" for RSCS?
>>
>> Maybe.  There is certainly a need to perform maintenance to the z/VM
>system
>> as well as administrative functions such as creating virtual machines.
>
>Hmmm....  RSCS seems to have come a long way since I last touched a VM
>system (VM/ESA 2.1, about a dozen years ago).  Back then, RSCS was used
>mostly like the NJE component of JES.
>
>> >Similarly, would there be a need to "talk about licensing terms" for
>> >RACF/VM to run on an IFL, if z/VM were used solely as a Linux
>> >hypervisor?
>>
>> Sure.  To control who performs the needed maintenance and
>> administration, for example.
>
>But the intent of my question was whether one could just purchase the
>"standard" RACF/VM license and then run it on z/VM on an IFL, or does
>one have to obtain "special dispensation" from IBM to run RACF/VM on an
>IFL, as was stated for RSCS?

Indeed if z/VM is only run as a Hypervisor running a whole mess of Linux
Penguins, then RSCS is not going to be needed to establish a NJE connection
between JES2-RSCS.

RACF/VM will depend on your auditors and what they want to see as to the
activity of the SYSPROGs. Here we run RACF/VM for the 3-4 SYSPROGs only
to track where they go. For the MAINT userid or any share USERID we force
the SYSPROG to use the LOGONBY feature of signon.

Although you might consider DIRMAINT as an addon to manage your z/VM
Directory & Minidisks although it can be done manually in the z/VM Directory.

Just keep in mind you may still see a requirement for ISPF/VM 3.2 which was
the latest and greatest thing out back in 1988. It has not changed since and
it is for using ISPF as the interface for RACF/VM and DIRMAINT. They both
work fine using the command line interface and it saved here the outrageous
offering of first $50K to license it and then it dropped down to $25K plus S&S
for a product which had not been updated in 16 years when I implemented
RACF/VM and DIRMAINT.  They are both very reasonable in cost and keep the
auditors very happy.

jim