We have physically shared, but "logically partititioned" VTS amongst our multi-
system and mono-plexes.  For individual tapes, we make the tapes available to
other systems as needed, as Kees described.

For mass copies, such as datacenter consolidation or spinoff, we have set up
VTS PtP PPRC connections.  I could put you in touch with our Storage
Management team if you want details.

For things like z/OS installations or major maintenance upgrades, where we
ship a logical SYSRES package with the entire SMP/E environment to a remote
datacenter, we have used tape-to-tape ftp.

We just recently helped a customer with a tape-to-tape ftp between
complexes, but so far, that's the only application we know of.

I guess it depends on what you're doing.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company