--------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------
[1] Actually there may be other exceptions. The 360 Model 44 for example was also a special machine somehow specifically designed to support "science and engineering" (Fortran) as I recall.
The 360/44 was my first 360 system and brings back many fond memories. Our first operating system was something called "44/PS" and ran from a single-platter disk drive in the side of the CPU, which we called "The Frisbee". We shortly migrated to OS/360 PCP (Sysgened as a Model 50), followed by a storage upgrade from 128K to 256K and a shift to MFT at about release 12.6. The 360/44 Commercial Feature was implemented by a software emulator in "Bump Core". A special program interrupt for invalid OP-CODE sent execution into the emulator, which would return execution to real storage via a special form of the LPSW instruction. High-speed general registers and variable-length floating point registers made FORTRAN programs run fairly fast (for that day). SS instructions, on the other hand, seemed to take FOREVER, due to the emulation involved. The same was true of LM, STM, BXH and BXLE, which weren't emulated but weren't installed except as part of the Commercial Feature.

Channels were simple: three high-speed byte-multiplex channels were all you could get, but they handled our 2314's, 2400 tapes (on 2803 controllers) and 2821 Reader/Punch/Printer controller fairly well. We even had a pair of 2321 Data Cell Drives for archiving and a 2860 Controller with some 2260 terminals, for the times we brought up RAX (There's a blast from the past!) If I remember correctly, our 2321's were on a 2803 controller. We even added a 2501 reader, in a niche in the hall outside the computer room, so students could submit their jobs directly to HASP. But we didn't let them near the 1403 N1 printer or the 2540 Reader/Punch. :-)

--
Rick