Hi Folks,

The device type doesn't even matter here, and we shouldn't get sidetracked by 3380's or whatever. I'll explain.

The fact is that a free Broadcast Dataset record, with key X'FF' has to have the absolute record number, starting with X'01', in the first data byte of the record. If a (candidate for a) Broadcast Dataset does not have this value hard-coded in the first data byte of the X'FF' records, and the system tries to use that dataset as a Broadcast Dataset, all mayhem breaks loose. My (commercial) program BDMDSFIX will solve the situation by resetting the first data bytes of all X'FF' records to the relative record number on the track. The same result can be accomplished with my free package from File 247 of the CBT Tape (Updates page, please), by running BCMDUMP followed by BCMREST, and after the dump/restore, the resulting Broadcast Dataset will have the same data as before, but all these hard-coded data bytes (containing the record position) will be fixed up. ALL THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DEVICE TYPES, at least so far!

An easy way of CREATING THE PROBLEM is by copying a Broadcast Dataset that was formatted on a 3380, to a 3390, which actually holds FEWER RECORDS PER TRACK, of the unblocked and keyed Broadcast Dataset records. The resulting (copied) dataset then has the problem, because the first data bytes of the X'FF' records are out of sync with the record number of the track that they are on. That's why IBM says you can't move a Broadcast Dataset between different device types (but I can do it with my tool packages). The idea is that the device type situation came in peripherally, and it wasn't the real problem here. So if it's 3380's or something else (3375's?), it doesn't matter for our discussion.

Anyway, even though most of the world now seems to have standardized on DASD images and devices that have 3390 geometry, 3390's are by no means entirely universal, even nowadays. And I've just tried to make people aware of the weird situation in the Broadcast Dataset, where the X'FF' records have to contain hard-coded record positions within their data. THAT is the actual issue here.

   All the best of everything to all of you.

Sincerely,    Sam