Eric Bielefeld wrote:
We still have a couple hundred addresses defined on our new Shark as 3380's. I'm not sure exactly why, but they are there. I think we had some software that required 3380s at one time, but I don't think we have any now.
I'm curious - what would be the benefit of getting off of the 3380s?  I think
that the larger track size might allow a little more data per track, but other
than that, why would having 3380s be a problem?

The benefits of getting off 3380s:
- adressablility. Nowadays disk adresses occupy vast majority of addressing space. I know datacenters where mod-27 and even mod-54 was the only ay to address all the dasd box space.
- consistency. Life is much easier when having only one geometry, isn't it?
- convenience. AFAIK the largest 3380 model is approx 1GB. So, relatively average size datasets have to be multi-volume.
- limits. Large datasets can reach 59-vol limit.

Of course the above does not apply to datacenter with 6MIPS CPC, OS/390 2.6, 3480 drives for backup and 330GB of dasd. We call such datacenters as palliative: you can't cure them, but you can buoy them up.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2008 r. kapitał zakładowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 złote i został w całości wpłacony.