On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:38:57 -0600, Martin Kline <martin.kl...@yrcw.com> wrote:

>I prefer to order GDGs with odd generations in LIFO order followed by the even
>generations in FIFO order - except on the second Tuesday of the month,
>when I want to read the data backwards in random file sequence. Why won't
>IBM listen to me?

Because you're a loon? <GRIN> (I'm a loon too! And proud of it.)

>You can't satisfy everyone. I suspect it was a performance choice made many
>years ago. For whatever reason, it is what it is. Deal with it or get over it.

Correct. I remember CVOLs. The original OS/360 catalog structure. Many of
the current ills we have in this area are due to compatibility with the
original CVOL structure.

>Nevertheless, this is a perfect situation for a little bit of subsystem
code. Let
>the subsystem search the catalog and concatenate the files in whatever
>sequence you like.

What we had was a program. You passed the base name as a PARM and it would
dynalloc each generation and write it in ascending Goovoo sequence to
another file. The actual application would then read this file in the next
step. Not as good as a subsystem, but much easier to program.