-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Tom Marchant
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: GDG Question

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:22:42 -0500, Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

>Tom Marchant wrote:
>> I spent a *lot* of time in the microfiche, reading the CVOL code.
Whatever
>> the reason was for concatenating the generation data sets in reverse
order,
>> I don't think it was for performance.
>
>The names were stored in the catalog in inverse order (the
>"nnnn" portion was complemented; i.e. C'0123' became
>X'0F0E0D0C'). This placed the entries with latest generation
>first, and explains why it was easiest to retrieve them in that
>sequence.

Yes, I'd forgotten that detail.  Still, it begs the question, *why* was
it
stored that way?  I suspect that it was a design decision to simplify
the
retrieval of the data sets in reverse order.  I don't think that either
forward or reverse order would offer a significant performance
advantage.
<SNIP>

I have an idea:

DSN=A.B.C(0) and DSN=A.B.C(-1)

Probably the two most used forms of access for GDS entries.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
-- Opinions expressed by poster may not represent poster's employer's
views. --