Brian
I ran in to a similar problem a while back. I had to replace the certificate
created by gskkyman(not a RACF certificate) but I am guessing it is pretty
much the same.
I used the V  TCPIP,,TELNET,STOP,PORT=xx command followed by an OBEYFILE
command pointing to the telnet profile statements.
(you will need to replace the xx with the relevant port)
If I remember correctly, it was z/OS 1.4
see here for a full explanation of the VARY TELNET commands

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/F1A1C240/1.37?SHELF=EZ2ZO10G&DT=20050708155016

Mike