>For the life of me, I can't understand why this is such a surprise or problem.

I agree!
In 1976, I was taught, whether getmain, malloc, or whatever the memory
allocation method was, to always initialise, unless the function specifically
stated it would do it.
That was my first year university programming courses.
When in doubt, assume it's not initialised.

>How many bad programmers were-there/are-there anyway?

Sadly, too many to count on fingers and toes.
And, unfortunately, they're not restricted to mickey-soft.

If you allocated it, initialise it.
If you allocated, de-allocate it when you're done!
If you open it, close it.
If you ENQ it, DEQUEU it.

Basic, but missed!
Too many times!!!!!!!!!!!