On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:44:51 +0000, Ted MacNEIL
<eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>Just as a side note, I remember learning long ago to always
>>initialize static areas
>
>Again, basic.
>Again, I agree.
>
>And, I can't understand the defensive stants, of those who
>don't/won't believe that basic programming is wrong!
>
>Forgetting to init is inexcusable!

I seem to be in a different universe than Ted is.  I haven't met these
infallible programmers.  Those I've met have been known to use a
DS when they meant DC, or miscalculate a length, or just plain
forget.  It happens whether or not it is excusable.

As far as I know, Ed et al. were not talking about something that
would make up for the mistakes; they were talking about something
that would find and expose those mistakes.   For the life of me I
can't think of anything wrong with that.

Pat O'Keefe