On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:44:14 -0600, Rob Lister
<rob.lis...@aciworldwide.com> wrote:

>A lot of the products I used, Omegamon, Netview, OPC, etc have now
>all been rebranded as Tivoli so pretty much every site I come across
>has Tivoli. Does that mean they just have one or two products and
>still use other vendors?

When IBM bought Tivoli it took the "Tivoli" name and put all the IBM
system management products under that name.  Nothing more /
nothing less.   And when IBM bought Candle the Omegamon
products naturally fell into that division (or whatever Tivoli is
within IBM).   Ignore the Tivoli part of the names.

Remember when IBM renamed a bunch of its products "NetView blah
blah"?  Well, this "Tivoli" rebranding is even less significant than
that.  NetView for z/OS is still NetView; Omegamon is still
Omegamon; etc.   That doesn't mean the products haven't changed.
They obviously have.  But the ame change has nothing to do with it.

>Am I wrong in assuming that if Tivoli can monitor our application
>(running on WAS, USS and DB2/MQ on Z) then the appropriate
>CA or BMC product can too?

That is a very different question.  Look carefully at each monitoring
product.   Compare them.  They have very different capabilities.
Have your WAS, DB2, MQ, etc. people evaluate them.  They have
very different strengths and weaknesses.

Pat O'Keefe