On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:11:53 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>> disagree with Ted that you've been "lucky" with ISPF edit since it does
use an ENQ to protect on a member level basis.  But that only works if
everyone plays by those rules.

>As recently as z/OS 1.4, I have seen two people corrupt members using ISPF
with different member names.

>>Also there has been some extra protection for a *long* time that keeps two
tasks from opening a PDS for output (IEC143I 213-30 abend).

>When you edit a PDS member, the file is not open for output. The member is
just a memory copy.
>It's opened for output, when you save it.
>ISPF keeps information in memory, but does not re-read the directory.
>So, if two people (or more) are editing members,  directory already read,
the last saver 'wins'.

>Try it! You won't like it.
>
>I did a test with some of our developers, just about two years ago.
>
>The data was corrupted.

Ted, you are completely wrong on this issue.   Was your test done
in a sysplex or MIMplex with the correct ENQ propagation?  Or did you
do it from two different environments that shouldn't have been sharing
at the PDS level to begin with (it's okay to share if data sets are protected
by RESERVE).

I wish I had time to debate... but I'm off to a DR drill.  I'm sure others
who understand and live in environments with hundreds of ISPF users
editing the same PDSes across systems in a sysplex and don't run into
the problem you've described will chime in.

Perhaps you should read the ISPF manuals also.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com