On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:10:02 -0600, P S <zosw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Do folks "care" about USS? That is, do most z/OS shops actually use
>USS for anything beyond the things they're forced to (TCP/IP stuff,
>for example)?
>
>My experience suggests that the general answer is "No" (with
>exceptions, of course).

We would generally fit in the "no" category. I am really the only UNIX
literate person on the Tech Services staff. I get it via Linux (FOSS bigot
here!). The applications programmers know nothing of z/OS UNIX and are happy
about it.

>The related question is: Do folks use C on z/OS much?

We don't have a C compiler.

>And the converged question is: Do the two sets overlap? That is, do
>most/all of the folks who DO use C on z/OS do so under USS?

We did have a C compiler in the past but cost cutting killed it. When we had
the C compiler, I (again) was the only user (another reason to kill it -
lack of use). I was using it for normal batch work, not UNIX work. In
particular, I was using C for some things that I would normally use HLASM for.

--
John