And the converged question is: Do the two sets overlap? That is, do
most/all of the folks who DO use C on z/OS do so under USS?

I don't have much knowledgea bout all this stuff (still learning), but if I got things right you can decide if your application runs in the POSIX-Environment or in the MVS-Environment not...

So, if your C-programmer someday will encounter a function that can only be used with POSIX(ON), like the threading stuff for example, then he/she will switch it on and he/she will be happy that function fooba() now will work...

Now - when this application runs it runs under USS (if I got all this stuff right), so..... yes, UCC and C will/can overlap.

bye,
Michael