Tom and Mark

Using whatever means you have with your TN3270E emulator to specify the
RFC 2355 "device-type" character string to "IBM-DYNAMIC" assumes that you
have kept the TN3270E server mapping of "device-types" strings to mode
table entry names.

If you look at the default TELNETDEVICE statements, you will see that "IBM-
DYNAMIC" maps to D4C32XX3 in the TN3270E column (also the TN3270 column
in this case). It's because of this association that "IBM-DYNAMIC", in effect,
avoids you having to specify D4C32XX3 in your Unformatted System Services
(USS - "the original"!) command.

There is an alternative to all TN3270E users modifying the PCOMM file. This
would be simply to define each TELNETDEVICE statement as follows:

TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-2 ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-3 ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-4 ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-5 ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-2-E ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-3-E ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-4-E ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-3278-5-E ,D4C32XX3
TELNETDEVICE IBM-DYNAMIC ,D4C32XX3

That way, no matter which "device-type" was offered by the emulator, the
TN3270 server would specify D4C32XX3 as the mode name, corresponding to
the mode table entry name, when issuing the REQSESS macro which initiates
the SNA 3270 session.

Probably some are now tempted to point out that I have missed the "device-
types" including "3279". Well, yes I have - for the reason that any emulator
that used them would not be in compliance with RFC 2355 - which I assume all
are.

Incidentally, I can tell that, whoever set up the USS table you used to use -
possibly still use - associated the "BAL" format with the USS command you
habitually used, hence LOGMODE=D4C32XX3. Had you used the default
format, PL1, you would have had to enter LOGMODE(D4C32XX3).

Chris Mason