As far as I can tell, communications between the HMC and the SE is TCPIP
based.  We kept the IBM switch for the private lan between the HMC and the
SEs.  We added our own hub using the second NIC and a public IP address.
This was the recommended method from IBM - two separate networks.  We
didn't open our firewall so the HMC isn't accessible from outside. Instead
I use a VPN so I am on our internal network and access the HMC website via
that.  I hope this helps.

Patti Neuman                                   OCM BOCES CNYRIC
Sr. Systems Programmer                        PO Box 4866
Technical Support                             Syracuse, NY  13221

Phone (315) 433-8304                    FAX  (315) 433-8368