-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Carson, Brad
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Cost of CPU Time

Hello IBM-Main'ers,

I'm looking for some information on how to calculate the cost for using
CPU=
.  Our new performance management team is trying to come up with a
calculat=
ion that can be used for multiple platforms.  Those include zSeries,
Unisys=
, pSeries, HP9000, and intel.  Since I'm not allowed to access the
Gartner =
site (due to $$), we're trying this the old fashioned way on our own.

Any insight, tips, hints would be appreciated.

<SNIP>

This is probably hashed greatly in the archives. It hasn't been too long
since a large argument was running over how to do things in this area
and why.

The basics are:

1) How long do you take to amortize the machine to $0?

2) How much do you use the machine per processing day (if the machine is
idle for 16 hours vs run 24x365  -- pet peeve, 24x7x365 is roughly 7
years)?

3) Are you going to put in all your costs for software that runs on the
machine, and how do you plan to amortize those?

4) Are you going to figure your costs for environmentals for the
machine?

5) Will you put in the manpower costs to operate (as in any operators,
administrators, etc.)?

6) Will over-all manpower costs be applied (manager costs for the "IT"
department)?

7) Are storage costs to be apportioned to the machine, and if so, how?

Once you have all of this, you can then assign the cost per CPU unit
(hour, minute, etc.)

Next, will you set this for a CPU, or divide by the number of CPUs (this
is what started the argument last time as I recall)?

Once you get this done, and you are comparing apples to apples, I would
love to see which system is the most cost effective for general
processing (I know that there are specific things that different systems
are especially good at, such as math, or data base handling).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer. --