On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:35:51 -0400, Carson, Brad <cars...@labcorp.com> wrote:

>Hello IBM-Main'ers,
>
>I'm looking for some information on how to calculate the cost for using
CPU.  Our new performance management team is trying to come up with a
calculation that can be used for multiple platforms.  Those include zSeries,
Unisys, pSeries, HP9000, and intel.  Since I'm not allowed to access the
Gartner site (due to $$), we're trying this the old fashioned way on our own.

>Any insight, tips, hints would be appreciated.
>

>Brad S. Carson
>Manager Mainframe Technical Support
>Laboratory Corporation of America
>Phone: 336-436-8294
>Fax: 336-436-1033
>email: cars...@labcorp.com

You will need to gather systems' log data historically in order to build up
a suitable resource usage data reference source.  Since all usage monitors
are not equal, you will need to calculate and apply a "capture ratio" in
order to fairly (loosely stated) make up the difference between the amount
of "attributable" CPU usage as compare to what is unattributable and is thus
considered overhead.  Likely there will be a capture-ratio for several of
your technologies, again, since not all vendors of transaction/DBMS
subsystems develop with the same architecture objectives in mind.  It's
quite typical to have a 12-month historical perspective before developing a
credible going-forward set of CPU "rates".

And, as was mentioned, these rates may or may not take into consideration
intangible factors, like "you agreed not to charge us for the first 3 years
after our in-sourcing" -- so then who/where do these usage numbers get
attributed?  Unbundling of some infrastructure components, such as
telecommunications and dedicated software for one customer, will also play
into the mix, either above or below the water-line when the final rates are
pitched to the clients.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.