I do have to respond to part of this one as OMEGAMON XE for z/OS 4.2.0
which went GA on 3/6/2009 does exploit the zIIP processor for collection.
Should the listserver be used to bake off these products?

Joe Winterton
IBM Manager OMEGAMON -  R&D
Phone 919-224-1328  T/L 687-1328
cellphone -  914-954-0483 - jose...@us.ibm.com

Mark Rascoe <mark_ras...@bmc.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
03/11/2009 05:04 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: TMON with OMEGAMON Comparison

Overhead concerns.

Interesting how OMEGAMON is trying to compare the CPU overhead to
MAINVIEW. From my last review of OMEGAMON features and capabilities,
OMEGAMON does not   exploit zIIPs and MAINVIEW does. In recent customer
benchmarks (2009), I have seen where MAINVIEW was offloading more than
50% of its GP cycles to zIIPs. If you compare OMEGAMON and RMF against
MAINVIEW and CMF, the number goes up even more. In the IMS arena,
OMEGAMON is weak in the type of detailed data it collects, yet MAINVIEW
uses the same or less CPU and provides much more detailed data to resolve
the issue faster. If you like, I can prove my point. Anyone can talk about
how
efficient they are, but the reality comes in a quick benchmark. With a
benchmark, you can see that MAINVIEW uses less CPU, it?s easier to
install,
configure and you get a powerful web browser without installing any
software
in your distributed environment. So, it?s your call.