Hi list,

I checked the documentation and the archives and either what I want to
do isn't available or I missed it, so please bear with me.

Is there some way to change the management class of a number of SMS
managed datasets (roughly 10,000 so I don't really want to IDCAMS ALTER
all of them)?  My situation is that before I got here, the decision was
made to use the same management class for test and production datasets.
This class has "never expire" set on it.  I want to create a new
management class for the test datasets that has an expiration date so
that since the developers don't clean up after themselves, I can.
However, I have about 10K test datasets that still have the production
mgmt class assigned to them.  The vast majority of these datasets are on
ML2 tapes and I would like there to be some way to tell SMS to assign
the new mgmt class to all these datasets so they automatically get
migrated to the bit bucket.  Some of the test datasets are over 10 years
old and the developers have agreed that there should be an automatic
purge of them (the datasets, not the developers...).

>From what I've gathered, the new mgmt class will only apply to new
datasets or the old ones if they get migrated or recalled, but I can't
mass change these old datasets while they are at rest.

TIA for any help you can provide.

Rex