I'd like to mention some reminders, concerning IMBED, REPLICATE, and
KEYRANGE and z/OS. (There's no new news here.  We've been saying for a long
time that VSAM data sets with these attributes have been involved in
unplanned outages, and now there's a Red Alert on a problem in this area...)

a) Today, data sets that were migrated by DFSMShsm or backed up by DFSMSdss
continue to retain their IMBED, REPLICATE, and KEYRANGE attributes when
recalled or restored.   In some future release, these IMBED and REPLICATE
attributes will be removed during the recall or restore of data sets.
(Note that today, these attributes will not be "cleaned up
automatically"!...which means you need to take some action today to make
this better or at least be aware of where your risks are.)

b) To help you with identifying which VSAM data sets have IMBED, REPLICATE,
or KEYRANGE, use the IMBDSHIP tool (for VSAM data sets, or catalogs), the
"as is" IBM Migration Checker program OLDVSAM (for catalogs) prior to z/OS
R11, or coming in z/OS R11 a new health check to verify catalogs don't have
these attributes.

Bottom line recommendation:  find out how exposed you are to this problem,
and redefine any VSAM data sets or catalog that have these attributes *now*.

-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Build and Install
IBM Poughkeepsie